Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TrueNorth Finance Path
Fastexy Exchange|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:03:27
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Fastexy Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Trump Media's wild rollercoaster ride: Why volatile DJT stock is gaining steam
- The AP is setting up a sister organization seeking grants to support local and state news
- Staff member in critical condition after fight at Wisconsin youth prison
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Texas Roadhouse rolls out frozen bread rolls to bake at home. Find out how to get them.
- Maui leaders target vacation rentals in proposal to house more locals
- Homeland Security says border arrests fall more than 40% since Biden’s halt to asylum processing
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Judge blocks Michigan’s abortion waiting period, 2 years after voters approved abortion rights
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Illinois man accused in mass shooting at Fourth of July parade expected to change not-guilty plea
- Billy Ray Cyrus Accuses Ex Firerose of Physical, Emotional and Verbal Abuse Amid Divorce
- Couple killed in separate fiery wrecks, days apart, crashing into the same Alabama church
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Trump Media's wild rollercoaster ride: Why volatile DJT stock is gaining steam
- US military shows reporters pier project in Gaza as it takes another stab at aid delivery
- Pretty incredible! Watch two teenagers play soccer with an elk in Colorado
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
A Wyoming highway critical for commuters will reopen three weeks after a landslide
Jared Padalecki recalls checking into a clinic in 2015 due to 'dramatic' suicidal ideation
Billy Ray Cyrus Accuses Ex Firerose of Physical, Emotional and Verbal Abuse Amid Divorce
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Sienna Miller Shares Sweet Insight Into Family Life After Welcoming Baby No. 2
Bear euthanized after 'causing minor injuries' at Gatlinburg park concession stand
Walmart announces ‘largest savings event ever’: What to know about ‘Walmart Deals’